Destinations / City Breaks / New York
New York, New York. The Big Apple. The city that never sleeps. There’s a reason this concrete jungle tops people’s travels lists and why the Irish visit it in their tens of thousands every year.
Made up of five boroughs - the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan - New York is the most densely populated city in the USA. It’s a city that’s alive with things to do, see, eat and experience.
Its skyline is instantly recognisable with landmarks such as the Empire State Building, the delightful art deco Chrysler Building, One World Trade Center and the Rockefeller Centre. Whether you want to hit the main tourist attractions, visit key locations from your favourite tv shows and movies or try and live like a New Yorker for a few days, there really is something for everyone.
Things to Do in New York
- Visit ‘Top of the Rock’ at Rockefeller Centre for views of New York and the Empire State Building
- Take the free ferry to Staten Island for views of Manhattan’s skyline and the Statue of Liberty
- See a Broadway or off-Broadway play or musical or sit in the audience of a late night talk show
- Walk across the iconic Brooklyn Bridge
- Have a leisurely stroll along Chelsea’s Highline
- Cheer on the New York Rangers (ice hockey) or Knicks (basketball) in Madison Square Gardens
- Soak up the buzz of billboards, performers, musicians and flashing lights of Times Square
- Indulge in some retail therapy in Bloomingdales, Macy’s and Century 21, stroll along Fifth Avenue or visit shopping outlets like Woodbury Common or Jersey Gardens.
How to get to Manhattan from the airport?
New York is 5 hours behind Ireland and we offer flights to 3 of New York’s airports: Stewart, JFK and Newark.
If you choose Norwegian Airline flights, you’ll be flying to Stewart Airport where you can pre-book their direct shuttle service for $20pp each way, which is the best way to get into the city. This takes approx. 90mins and brings you directly into Manhattan.
If travelling from JFK Airport, you can get the AirTrain to Penn Station for approx. $7.75 or a taxi to Manhattan for a flat fare of $52 (excl. tolls and tips).
If travelling from Newark Airport, you can also get the AirTrain Train to Penn Station for approx. $5.50 or a taxi to Manhattan for $50 to $70, depending on where your hotel is.